This is an individual assignment – not a group assignment
Keep answers simple and concise – picture a relative that is the least tech- savvy person you know, and explain it to them using the fewest number of sentences. It is OK to be superficial – we will go into depth during the class.
Do use the web resources provided, or any other resource you find helpful. Please cite resources (people, websites, books, magazines) that you found very helpful in formulating your answer.
Do not cut and paste answers from the web. This is not only illegal and immoral, but it defies the learning objective.
- Submit your assignment to my email below, with the subject line "BUA581-Technology".
- Preferred format is as an attached word document in the form "Technology_<your name>.docx"
Make sure the subject line is BUA581 - Terminology
IT Architectural Patterns & Topology - Explain the following terms
Remember — this is for your benefit. You will encounter these terms in your reading often: so this assignment can be a reference for you. Think of the least tech savvy person you know, and try to explain it to them in a few sentences.
- Client / Server
- Thin Client vs Fat Client
- Three-tier or Multi-tier
- Virtual Client / Virtual Desktop
- Peer to Peer
- Grid Computing vs Cloud Computing
- Web Services
- SOA - Service Oriented Architecture
- LAMP - Linux-Apache-MySql-PHP
- VPN - Virtual Private Network vs Local Area Network (LAN) and Wide Area Network (WAN)
Data Storage – Define each of the following
- SAN - Storage Area Network
- NAS - Network Attached Storage
- RAID -
Network Infrastructure Components– A company network has many components: explain the function of each of these elements.
- Proxy Server
- DHCP server - Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol
- DNS - Domain Name Server
- VOIP - Voice over Internet Protocol server
- WAP - Wireless Access Point
- FTP server
- Web Server
- File Server
- Mail Server and the associated protocols: POP3, IMAP and SMTP
- Print server
- IDS - Intrusion Detection System
- LDAP - Lightweight Directory Access Protocol server
- Domain Controller
Malicious Software – Compare and contrast the following terms:
- Virus, Worm,Trojan and Rootkit
- Botnet, Zombie Computer and Botnets
- Phishing vs Pharming
- White Hat vs Black Hat Hacking