Want to play around with the wiki? Goto the Sandbox page to play around (OK area to edit — you wont break anything)
In case you didn't notice, how we submit our homework is actually a significant part of the learning objectives of this course. You will learn how to utilize discussion threads, wikis, mail attendants, opensource applications, etc. just as a matter of course as you hand in your work.
Curious how we insert Google Docs into our presentation?
If you have created a presentation on Google Docs, save it, then select Share | Publish / Embed. You will notice a text box that displays showing you how to embed your presentation in a web page.
Here's an example:
The publish button will display a dialog with two things you care about:
The Document Link (if all you want to do is link to it)
And the Embed Text
<iframe src="https://docs.google.com/presentation/embed?id=1nDfoP6uV3855GKN3Ahbso5dWcCZpbjVXdz0cDIH93pE&start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000" frameborder="0" width="480" height="389" allowfullscreen="true" webkitallowfullscreen="true"></iframe>
All you have to do is open up the wiki page to edit and place the following text (note the key text 1nDfoP6uV3855GKN3Ahbso5dWcCZpbjVXdz0cDIH93pE)
[*https://docs.google.com/presentation/pub?id=1nDfoP6uV3855GKN3Ahbso5dWcCZpbjVXdz0cDIH93pE&start=false&loop=false&delayms=3000 Open Presentation In New Window] [[iframe https://docs.google.com/presentation/embed?id=1nDfoP6uV3855GKN3Ahbso5dWcCZpbjVXdz0cDIH93pE width="480" height="389"]]
These presentations are added by students. Look for the area at the bottom of the assignments page for week 3 and edit the section under the Cohort Presentations…
+ Cohort F Presentations * [[[googledocs |Miranda's Google Docs Presentation]]]
- Add a new line under the googledocs line (there may be others below it, so insert between)
- Take the subject you chose for your class 3 presentation and determine a suitable short topic name for your subject area.
- Follow the same format making sure that the topic text is lower case no spaces. Your Description should include your name(s) and topic
Ex: * [[[topic|My Name's Topic Presentation]]] NOTE - there must be a space after the asterisk
- Save your changes. You should now see a link called <topic> under the Cohort Presentations near the bottom of the page.
- Click on this link. It should take you to a "Page does not exist yet - create?" page. Click on the create. This is where you will start assembling your class 3 presentation materials
- Second, you should be submitting your week 2 reading assignments to my email address <see contact menu> with BUA581 somewhere in the subject line - this will make sure you get a receipt. This is due electronically prior to class, and in paper form after class
- Last, most classes have a discussion prep that is 'turned in' as a comment thread on the classroom discussion forum. Go to Assignments|Week2 and note that at the top, there is a link to class prep near the top. This will take you to http://bua581.wikidot.com/discussion-roi which is also found via the menu option Discussion||Session 2 - ROI. Create a new thread for your topic. This is due before class
Week 6 - Final Presentations
Your class project wiki sites…
Final Presentations MBA Cohort B2 Feb. 1, 2011
DiMauro Family & Sports Chiropractic - Susan, Laura, Pat, & Kristen's group project.
ELMo, Inc. - Liz, Andrea & Christine
Fly Clear - Stephanie and Donna's Group Project
Appleby & Wyman - Sarah, Kristen & Mustafa`s Group Project
Halle Library - Stephen, Brianna, Adriana, Alex
Congrats! Did you enjoy the class? Highs & Lows?
A few points for Cohort W for your own personal IS management:
- Wiki's are best formed when they are natural hypertext information that naturally flows from general to specific. If you navigation is mostly by menu, you don't have a wiki, but rather a traditional website
- Automate whatever you can so that human error doesn't get in the way. This applies to backups in particular
- Utilize Cloud computing as a natural form of collaboration, off-site storage and backup as appropriate. Examples include
- GMail / Google Docs - Cloud based email and files that can be accessed anywhere. Obviously not appropriate for secure or sensitive data, but excellent for home and non-profit
- Knowledge Management / Content Management — easy things like WikiDot , Google Calendar and XMarks (Bookmark management) can make it easy for you to keep all your personal content 'managed' and accessible from anywhere
- Backup your files from your document folder to an online backup. Music and Photos can be burned to DVD or innexpensive external hard drives and kept at work. Two on a rotating basis is best…
- Change the admin passwords on your router, update the router firmware, utilze WPA2 at a minimum
Recommendations for the next class?
Cohort K Final Presentations
Our class project wiki sites…
Bach Pharma - Mike, Andrea, Dustin
on iPhone, iPad, AppleTV, PC. It's free.